All That Glitters is NOT Gold

Holiday decorations and trees can be dangerous for you pet. Ribbon, yarns and string can catch the eye of your pet. The shiny tinsel on your tree is very attractive to pets and if ingested it can cause blockages. Tree needles can be toxic and cause mouth and stomach irritation. Even needles and the wire of artificial trees could pose a problem. Be sure your pet is not chewing on branches or eating fallen needles. If you have a live tree try be careful of the water. The water in the tree stand often harbors potentially harmful bacteria. Fertilizers, insecticides, or flame retardants that were used on the tree may also get into the water. Cover the stand with a tree skirt or use other means to prevent access to the water. Plants, many of the beautiful and fragrant plants we fill our homes with at Christmas also put our pets at risk. Popular plants like poinsettias, mistletoe, and holly are extremely toxic if ingested, and can cause anything from gastrointestinal upset to cardiac problems. Food: Christmas just wouldn’t be the same without all of the delicious treats that come with it. Unfortunately, most of our favourite holiday snacks are also some of the most dangerous to our pets. Turkey, for one, can be dangerous to your pet if you are not careful to dispose of bones safely. Bones can easily puncture your pet’s lungs or digestive tract, or cause your animal to choke, either of which can potentially be fatal. Chocolate is another potential hazard, and can actually kill your dog or cat depending on their size, the type of chocolate and the quantity consumed.


Related Posts